Separate waste


Individuals, households, companies, organisations and institutions can learn how to separate waste to divert waste from landfills to protect the environment.

This service is provided by the Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (Pollution and Waste Management) to encourage rcommunities  to manage waste

What is separation of waste?

The way of putting together the things or products of similar nature or appearance.

What is waste?

Waste means any substance, material or object, that is unwanted, rejected, abandoned, discarded or disposed of, or that is intended or required to be discarded or disposed of, by the holder of substance, material or object.

How to categorise waste types?

General wastes means waste that does not pose an immediate hazard or threat to health or the environment, and includes paper or box, plastic, bottle or glass, can or steel, organic waste (vegetable or fruit peelings, grass clipping, dead wood, leftover) etc.

Hazardous wastes means any waste that contains organic or inorganic elements or compound that may, owing to the inherent physical, chemical or toxological characteristics of that waste, have a detrimental impact on health and the environment, for example oil containers, pesticides containers, battery, tyres, asbestos, sewer, electrical appliances (fluorescent bulbs) and e-waste (computer (laptop or desktop), cellular phone device or handset, printer catridge, television etc).

What is a source?

The source means the place where the waste is made or produced. The source refers to household, office, school, university, technikon, college, churches, shop, business, industry or factory, stadium, entertainment facility, filling station or garage, tavern, library, stockvel, market, train station etc.

How to start or commence with separation of waste?

Step 1: Space - identify small suitable site within your premise or separation site, but make sure that the site is always clean and neat so that you cannot attract rats and mosquitoes.

Step 2: Household or small scale - refuse bag or old bucket or domestic bin.

Step 3: Business, institutions, industry or big scale - office bins, skip bin, outdoor bins, recycling bulk bag, cage, bottle bank, trolley.

Step 4: Database - Compile a database of waste service providers for different waste.

Step 5: Transport or Municipal Fleet – find out from your municipality if whether the transport is offered for separated waste.

Step 6: Find a market for a separated waste.

Step 7: Contact relevant recycling companies for a price schedule for various products, but it differs from one company to another.

Do I require or need a Waste Management Licence (WML) or authorisation to separate waste at source ?

  1. No registration for household,
  2. Business, companies or industries must register with the Department using the Departmental registration form or Business, companies or industries who does not trigger the threshold must comply with duty of care.
  3. Business, companies or industries who trigger the threshold must comply with National Environmental Management: Waste Act (59/2008): Norms and Standards for Storage of waste, 2013 or
  4. Business, companies or industries who trigger the threshold must comply with National Environmental Management: Waste Act (59/2008): National Norms and Standards for the sorting, shredding, grinding, crushing, screening or baling of general waste

       What are the requirements for the process?

  1. Volume in m3 of storage of waste
  2. Area in m2 of storage of waste
  3. Declaration of owner of the site
  4. Types of waste and quantity per day or month
  5. Zoning of the site by municipality

     How much is required for the WML or authorisation or Norms and Standard?

For registration in terms of Norms and Standard is free, however for WML or authorisation there are fees that need to be paid i.e. Basic Assessment Process or Scoping and EIA. Contact GDARD: SUE Admin Office for more information.

            What is the storage capacity in terms of area or volume for separation of   waste per day/ month?

  1. The Norms and Standards apply to a waste facility that has an operational area of 1000m and more.
  2. The storage of general waste at a facility that has the capacity to store in access of 100m of general waste at any time.

Can I sell the separated waste to waste service providers of my choice?

Yes, as long as the waste service provider is operating legally.

Do I sell or offered my separated waste to unauthorised waste service provider?

No, waste must be handled by the licenced service provider which are managed by the conditions of the waste management licence.

Do I have to report the statistics in Gauteng Waste Information System (GWIS) for separated waste?

Yes, Business, companies or industries are required to register and report as required in terms of Gauteng Waste Information Regulations, 2004 on the following Departmental waste information system website: www.gwis.gpg.gov.za

Who should I contact for GWIS reporting?

The contact details for all Waste Information System administrators are listed on the following GWIS website: www.gwis.gpg.gov.za

Available Services


In Person Over Phone

Related Services

No Related Services