The main objective of the Township Entrepreneurship Awards is to recognise and reward entrepreneurial talent in townships whilst building and cementing confidence in township based businesses.
The Gauteng Provincial Government launched the Township Entrepreneurship Awards in 2015 as part of its strategic intervention aimed to revitalise the Gauteng City Region townships' economy.
Who can enter?
Entry is open to businesses and cooperatives within Gauteng’s townships that meet the entry criteria.
In order to qualify, entrants must meet the following criteria:
- South African citizen with a valid Identity Document
- Gauteng based township businesses (business that is registered and operating within the Gauteng province townships).
- Business compliance: The Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) registration, and Tax clearance certificate.
- Where applicable industry/sector compliance documents i.e. Health and Safety, The Construction Industry Development Board (cidb), The National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC) , public liability will have to be produced during judges business assessment visit.
- Business or Cooperative must have been operational for a minimum of 24 months.
- Provide financial statements, management accounts, business or personal bank statements for the past 24 month period.
- Business must be in one of the industrial sectors defined in the awards categories.
- Have an annual turnover not exceeding R2 Million
- Completed the entry forms from the Gauteng Enterprise Propeller (GEP) offices. For contact details, please click here
How to submit the entry forms?
Submission of entry forms with the mandatory supporting documentation can be submitted as follows:
- Hand deliver in a sealed envelope and place in the Township Entrepreneurship Awards boxes located in the foyer at GEP head office or any one of the Hubs. For contact details, please click here
Terms and conditions
- All church / religious-based businesses, businesses selling drugs and sex or illegal activity or such other business activities as the judges in their sole and absolute discretion deem to be unsuitable will not be considered for these awards.
- No employees of the Gauteng Provincial Government and / or its agents may enter the competition.
- No entries will be accepted from any, company or organisation that is in arrears or has not paid back monies lent to them by the Gauteng Enterprise Propeller.
- Previous Township Entrepreneurship Awards winners (businesses) will have to wait for a period of 24 months from date of winning before being eligible to enter the competition again.