Request substance abuse treatment by visiting the treatment facility

View all information about Request substance abuse treatment by visiting the treatment facility on this page and get in touch to let us know how we can help.


Individuals with minor to moderate cases of substance abuse such as alcohol and drugs receive treatment by visiting the treatment facility on certain days.

The treatment provides structured, professional, therapeutic care that allows individuals who use substance(alcohol and drugs) to return to their usual living environment after each counselling/therapy session. Individuals who use substances can thus continue with their employment, education and family responsibilities. Treatment services are provided at out-patient treatment facilities across Gauteng.

Admission process
  • Individuals can be referred to Treatment Centres on a voluntary or involuntary basis.
  • Involuntary committals are done through the courts and this process is facilitated by the social worker, based on the facts that the person is a danger to himself/herself, harm his or her own welfare and commits criminal acts to sustain his or her dependence.
  • An assessment is conducted of the individual and the outcome of the assessment will determine whether the individual should be admitted to a Substance Abuse Treatment Facility
  • Depending on the severity of the case, the individual will be admitted to the in-patient facility or referred to attend the day-visits in a facility or receive home-based care by Community Health Workers employed by the Gauteng  Department of Social Development through Non-Profit Organisations (NPOs)

The following documents are needed:
  • A psycho-social report, compiled and signed by a Registered Social Worker,
  • A Medical certificate (BGW 3/143), completed by a medical practitioner, after a physical examination of the service user
  • A completed voluntary admission form, in case of a voluntary admission application
  • ​Care plan
  • Confirmation of release address
  • Permission for excursion form
  • Birth certificate in case of individual younger than 18 years
  • Identity document of parent/guardian if the individual is under 18
  • Copy of Identity document
  • Proof of address
Early signs of substance abuse
  • A major disruption and distress in the person’s life (and usually that of his or her family/caregiver) and functioning.
  • A persistent desire or craving to take a substance (usually with unsuccessful efforts to reduce or stop.
  • A great deal of time spent in trying to acquire the substance (including often high risk illegal activities.
  • The continuation of the substance usage despite an awareness of the destruction and damages caused.
  • A marked increase in the amount of substance required to attain the desired detoxification effect (i.e. diminished effect of the substance and increased tolerance.
  • The presence of withdrawal symptoms if the substance is reduced or withdrawn. Substance dependency therefore affects the person’s emotional, psychological, physical, interpersonal and spiritual life.
​How to access the service?​

  • Any person in need of this Service should visit their nearest Social Development Office because Rehabilitation centres do not take walk ins, but intake is facilitated by a Social Worker from either the Department of Social Development or a funded Non Profit Organization.

Available Services

Request for treatment substance abuse by day visit in a facility

In Person

Related Services

No Related Services