South Rand hospital is a level one district hospital situated in the southern part of Johannesburg, in Rosettenville. It was officially opened in 18 June 1954 by the then Transvaal Administrator Dr William Nicol.
The hospital has 314 beds with approved personnel establishment of five hundred and eighty four (584).
The catchment population is ± 450 000.
The hospital has five operating theatres. Three theatres are functional.
Number of buildings: one main hospital building, nurse's residence, crèche, compound & site houses.
Currently the houses are planned for maternal homes, the EMS as well as the Cuban doctors.
The hospital referral system is received from clinics. However it does extend beyond Rosettenville based on the needs of the patients.
South Rand Hospital also up refer patients to Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital and Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital for patients requiring medical care beyond level 1.